Monday, May 12, 2008

GARDEN REPORT
by Robin

Here was my original garden.


Inside there, we see green bell pepper plants (sweet) right in the middle.

In the front rows, there is spinach, carrots and onions primarily on the left side. My spinach was doing great until the temps went well into the 80's. So, they stunted growth and went into seeding. Probably not worth eating, but I may keep them around for the seeds for next year. This variety is pretty good tasting.

In the herb section, my cilantro forest now has white flowers on top. Cilantro sits between some basil and sage, which has purple flowers.

This bush is out of control. I've decided to let it go to seed.


I have no idea what color they will be but they're about to bloom now.


Front right of Garden #1 was a row of Iceberg lettuce. I had probably a dozen heads and have eaten a few of them. Plus, I had heads in another garden and they're completely eaten. Anyhow, the head didn't make a perfect round ball like the store variety but it is still pretty firm leaf when watered well. It has a super-slight bitter taste to it but not enough to not enjoy the lettuce.

Garden #2

In the back is a bunch of cherry toms on the left cage and Big boy toms on the right cage. The small bush under the window is sweet basil.
In the front are the sweet peppers. I can't wait to see the green bells turn to their variety of colors. I purposely placed it outside my window so I could enjoy the colors.

Here is the first of many, I'm sure. It is growing upside-down.
This was my last-minute garden I put in sometime around March. I had an unused corner that quite honestly I was scared to go into. It has snakes sometimes but they're non-venemous black racers. Many mornings, a racer sits on the trellis, which is behind my back as I took this picture.

Ok..... far back are the hot peppers. Left is cucumbers. Center are Crooked Neck summer squash. Right are 2 zucchini plants.

Long Slim Red Cayenne pepper. Still a baby. That long spindly thing will turn red in a while. FYI: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/73034/


I think this is a jalapeno plant. Time & growth will tell me for certain. FYI:

At this time, I have only 2 plants w/ peppers. I'm suppose to have 5 varieties if all end up growing.


I have my first full-sized cucumber. I just about can't stand to not pick it until dinner tonight.

I'm having trouble with bees not coming around to pollinate my vines so I have resorted to helping them out with a q-tip pulling pollen from the boy blooms and putting some on the girl blooms.

I'm still waiting for the zucchinis to put out some girl blooms.

The squash has put out 2 girl blooms and so far, nothing. One has died and I was offshore fishing the day the other blooms, so I have to pray that a bee came by and did its job.

My amaryllis, mums, rose, lantana, azaleas and verbana...(?) all sit in this garden. Small but does the trick to see butterflies. Very attractive addition for very little work.

Here is a mixture type of garden. Dwarf Cannis and mini-roses are also planted here. Again, not complex but a nice addition to the yard.
I hope you enjoyed viewing my gardens.

No comments: