Tuesday, May 20, 2008

GAMES to PLAY on SNAKES
by Robin

Well, since the heat has begun, we're seeing snakes regularly. I have my trellis snake which is one size and then I have my teenage snake that lives on the other side of the yard. Occasionally, I see my big boy who is more of a transient.
Friday, we built the chickens their coop and while walking away for the evening, we saw snakes chase each other down the fence. Oh, but then, we had to cover the kids' eyes as it was no longer G-rated. Jack shooed them out of the yard and told them to get a room.

Anyhow, on a good day, we can have about 3-4 sightings. It's probably the same one or two roaming around looking for a meal. I'm sure my neighbors are quite accustomed to my snake screams from time to time. It probably doesn't even slow down their sipping lemonade in the shade. It might even comfort them that they're all in MY yard that particular day.

One day, my kids got it in their heads that they were going to set up a snake trap. They had no idea how it would unfold but they certainly were going to try to have some fun at a snake's expense. (Btw, these are black racers which are non-venemous. Don't play this game at your home with cottonmouths or diamond back rattlers!)

All the props are in place.

I've labeled everything for you. The fake snake is orange in the leaves. Fake lizard is semi-realistic brown on the stone. Then, we have the real black racer entering the scene from the trellis.


Here is the REALLY funny part. I came into the porch not knowing that was a fake lizard at first. I hadn't seen the fake snake because my "Mom radar" is honed in to moving black snake not orange still stuff. I don't walk ANYWHERE in my yard without looking for a racer. I'm puzzled at the fact that a lizard isn't moving at the sight of a snake. I'd never seen that before. Boy, was I glad to later realize that my instincts weren't off.
So, as you can see above, the wise snake looked at the fake lizard. He smelled it with his tongue. And then.....

....there was no strike. He slithered right behind him down those stones and onto the grass.

MORAL of the story: You have to get up pretty early in the morning to fool my trellis snake.

(Disclaimer: No snakes were harmed in the making of this story.)

No comments: