Thursday, January 2, 2014

BUDGETS AND BROCCOLI

by Robin

Today, we did something very important and I recommend it for every family in the New Year.  A YEARLY BUDGET.   (not the monthly one - fyi)

Jack and I first sat down, went through bills and daily living expenses.  Then, we wondered where all the money went.  So, we decided on some goals and cinched the belt down and now... we're excited.  Excited to see what God will do.  Excited to see how far we can stretch pennies in order to give more and pay off more.  We got a little distracted without a plan last year but we're back on track now.

Afterwards, we sat the kids down and showed them the incoming and outgoing numbers.  We explained the goals and they were all for it too.  We made some cuts, mostly fat in the budget.  We talked about contributing to their own expenses.  These are all very realistic things that every home needs to discuss.

After it was done, I felt like a burden came off my shoulders.  God tells us that His yoke is easy and His burden is light.  There is so much truth in that.  Sometimes we do stuff... good stuff... but if it isn't in God's will, your strength will eventually give-out.  I'm exhausted from being BUSY; and knowing Spring is our busiest season with fishing hard and finishing schooling, I didn't want to look ahead.  This year, we have one graduating.  I know my plate will carry more than normal in that final month.  But, we prayed hard and we trust God's will is better than ours.

From there, Jack went into the kitchen to make us a chef-worthy meal.  I went to the garden to pick some veggies and check on a couple critters and the pool.  I picked up a load of tomatoes and heads of broccoli.  It reminded me of my situation.  All plants need pruning in order to grow more.  That's what today felt like.

As I sit down to lunch and we bless our food, I will know that I am a daughter of the King and feel much better with His new plan.



Have a blessed New Year!
Robin


No comments: