Wednesday, January 15, 2014

SPLIT PEA SOUP!

by Robin

Tonight will begin a long few days of extremely cold weather (extreme for FLORIDA!).  So, I'm cooking up a storm in the kitchen today.

First, I wanted to use up some dried beans.  Nothing like combining split green peas with Thanksgiving's leftover, frozen, smoked turkey legs.  Now, there is no meat in this dish but I definitely used the flavoring of the smoke to give this very veggie and green dish some extra dimension for the kids' sakes. I threw in the traditional carrot, celery and onion to make the broth.  (Shhhh, don't tell the kids there is also a small turnip cooked in there.  )

Then, once everything was softened, I blended the bulk of it with a little bit of broth and make a puree.  Oh goodness!  So full of flavor.  I love it!  Plus, I have broth put back for whatever else I make in the next day or two.


In the bread machine, I have a loaf of bread rising and will be cooked in another hour.  Yum.

Then, Jack put in his request for sugar cookies.  I think this sounds very reasonable.  Not too hard, not too soft, not too thick....  but as Goldilocks would say, "Just right!"

Stay Warm!
Robin

No comments: